Posted Jan 13th 2012 3:01PM
There was a time when the parking lots of daycare facilities and holy roller churches were occupied with massive passenger vans from one or all of the Detroit 3. Somewhere along the line, they began disappearing from the landscape as their paint faded and they rusted away. Eventually Dodge stopped building theirs and the other GM and Ford cut way back on the sales of their behemoths. The people, they still gots to get to church though and Nissan wants to help them get there in a modern fashion.
Having introduced their big box store sized NV commercial van a year ago, it was only a matter of time before they trotted out a people mover of an equally grand scale. That time came yesterday at the Montreal Auto Show.
Based on the NV3500HD, the NV Passenger van features a giant box plunked down on top of a full boxed ladder type frame with independent front suspension and heavy duty leaf springs in the back. Buyers can choose from a 261 horsepower, V6 or an even more robust 317 horsepower V8. Both engines are mated to a 5 speed automatic transmission.
At the heart of a people mover is space and flexibility. To that end, the NV carries four rows of seats that will carry up to 12 people and can be configured to an astounding 324 possible layouts. A full load of creature comforts are also included to keep the flock happy on their travels.
Head past the jump to get the full details from the Nissan Canada release.
Related GalleryNissan NV Utility Truck
01.12.2012 , Montreal (Quebec)
NISSAN ANNOUNCES NEW NV PASSENGER VAN WITH ENHANCED USABILITY, SAFETY AND COMFORT; SET TO DEBUT IN SPRING 2012
– NV3500 HD Joins Innovative Nissan NV Commercial Vans in Providing Dependability, Durability and Style, Along With a Low Cost of Ownership –
Just one year after its entry into the commercial vehicle business in North America with the segment-changing Nissan NV commercial van series, Nissan is expanding the lineup with the debut in spring 2012 of a new NV3500 HD Passenger Van. Offered for both personal and fleet use, the 4-row/12-passenger Nissan NV3500 HD features the most flexible seating configurations in the full-size passenger van segment, along with one of the highest standard horsepower and torque ratings.
"Just as we did prior to shaking up the commercial van category with the highly innovative Nissan NV, we first did our homework in the full-size van segment by studying the real-world needs, wants and desires of both families and fleet operators," said Michael Colleran, Regional Vice President of Field Sales and Sales Operations, Nissan Canada Inc. "As a result, we're delivering a vehicle that offers everything owners are looking for – enhanced usability, driver and passenger comfort, flexible storage, dependability, durability and an affordable cost of ownership. Then we've topped it all off with signature Nissan style, performance and value."
The 2012 Nissan NV3500 HD Passenger Van will be offered in a choice of two engines, a 261-horsepower DOHC 24-valve 4.0-liter V6 with 281 lb-ft of torque or a 317-horsepower DOHC 32-valve V8 with 385 lb-ft of torque. Both engines include Nissan's Continuous Valve Timing Control (C-VTC) for improved efficiency and are matched with a refined, heavy-duty 5-speed automatic transmission. The Nissan NV3500 HD Passenger Van is built on a foundation of a rugged fully boxed ladder frame with independent front strut/solid rear axle with rigid leaf springs suspension, heavy-duty disc brakes with Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and engine-speed-sensitive power steering. Also standard is a 28-gallon fuel tank.
In addition, the Nissan NV3500 features SUV-like maneuverability and easy access for serviceability due to its pickup truck-like front engine/full hood design.
"First and foremost, as we've learned through more than 75 years of Nissan global commercial vehicle experience, you have to start with a durable, dependable workhorse platform and highest quality components," explained Colleran. "These vehicles go through more use and abuse in a year than regular passenger vehicles experience in a lifetime, so that was a priority. Then we turned our team of innovators loose on the usability and comfort aspects."
As a result, the Nissan NV3500 HD Passenger Van more than delivers on every key area of customer input, including:
- Safety – integrated seat belts for all rear seating positions; standard headrests for all seating positions; and segment-exclusive standard side curtain air bags for all four rows of passengers
- Seating flexibility – 12-person seating capacity with up to 324 possible seat configurations; large 1st row seats to optimize comfort, completely removable and repositionable 2nd and 3rd row seats; 50/50-split 4th row seat than can be partially or completely removed as needed
- Mobile office support – large center console with storage for laptop computer and charger, business cards, hanging files, pens and paper; available 120V outlets; seat wear patch; fold-down front passenger seat with underseat storage; no engine intrusion into the cabin area
- Enhanced utility – low step-in height, easy ingress and egress without intrusive seat belts (integrated into rear seats); wide door openings; rear 50/50-split French doors with 243? rear opening
- Comfort and convenience – rear HVAC system, available personal lamps for 2nd, 3rd and 4th rows; rear cargo lamp behind 4th row; available 3rd row 12V outlet; numerous cupholders and bottle holders
- Technology – available navigation system, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System (fitted as standard on the SV and SL models), telematics pre-wiring, XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately); and integrated rear view camera
- Modern style – Nissan truck twin strut signature grille; pickup truck style front end design; large windows with privacy glass; styled-steel 17-inch wheels
Three Well-Equipped Models
Designed to be affordable and to stand up to the abuse that full-size passenger vans face every day, the new Nissan NV3500 HD is available in a range of models and packages to fit a range of owner needs and uses.
The 2012 Nissan NV3500 HD is offered in three well-equipped models, the NV3500 HD S, the NV3500 HD SV, and NV3500 HD SL (V8 engine only).
The Technology Package is available as an option (SL only), with Rear Camera, featuring XM® Satellite Radio (XM® subscription required, sold separately), 5-inch touch-screen SD navigation system, Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System (standard on SV and SL-grade) and RearView Monitor.
The new Nissan NV3500 HD will be manufactured in Canton, Mississippi and available through a select network of certified Nissan Commercial Vehicle dealers nationwide.
News Source: Nissan Canada