Posted Sep 13th 2012 2:30PM
Volkswagen is offering all sorts of new Beetle models for 2013, but one that we won't be getting here in the U.S. is the new 2013 Volkswagen Beetle R-Line. Giving a glimpse at what the future might have in store for the high-performance Beetle R, this new R-Line model is defined by its sporty looks.
The R-Line model is actually available in two different packages. For buyers just searching for a meaner-looking Beetle, the starting R-Line option offers an exterior upgrade package. The package has features like a more aggressive front fascia with black inserts, a rear diffuser and 18-inch "Twister" alloy wheels. 19-inch polished and painted alloy wheels are available as an upgrade, too. There is also an interior R-Line package that brings two-tone sport seats with an "active-breathing" fabric. This interior upgrade also boasts R-Design logos on the leather-wrapped, flat-bottom steering wheel, embroidered onto the front headrests and rendered in dark metallic inlays throughout the cabin. Full black leather seats are optional interior fare, as well.
Choosing just the exterior package will run €1,290 (around $1,665 USD) while the full interior and exterior R-Line package will cost €1,675 ($2,162 USD), and both can be equipped on the Beetle 1.4 TSI or the Beetle TDI.
While VW doesn't have any plans to bring the Beetle R-Line to the U.S., the Beetle TDI and Beetle Fender Edition are new for 2013 and the all-new Beetle Cabriolet will be making its debut at the 2012 L.A. Auto Show.
View the press release below.
Related Gallery2013 Volkswagen Beetle R-Line
Sporty chic – the Beetle R-Line
Wolfsburg, 12 September 2012 - Volkswagen now offers two R-Line packages for the Beetle that are based on the top "Sport" version: an exterior package and an interior package. The exterior package may be ordered separately, while the interior package is always offered as an extension of the R-Line exterior details.
Volkswagen R GmbH has created the independent and sporty R-Line options which can be combined with any of the twelve Beetle colours. Parts of the exterior package are:
- Front bumpers with independent black grained air inlets and chrome surrounds for the directional indicators
- diffuser at the rear
- special body side panels and door mirror housings in body colour
- R-Line logos on the front body beneath the A-pillars
- 18-inch "Twister" alloy wheels
- Machine-polished 19-inch "Tornado" alloy wheels may be selected as an option in black or white with 235/40 tyres
The R-Line interior package includes:
- sport seat system with seats upholstered with an active-breathing fabric in "Kyalami" design
- front head restraints with R-Line badge
- leather-trimmed sport steering wheel, the gear shift lever boot and the handbrake grip with decorative seams in "Art Grey"
- decorative inlays in "Dark Vanadium"
As an option, the seats may be ordered in black leather ("Vienna") with
R-Line badges on the head restraints as well as on the door sill plates and the leather-trimmed sport steering wheel. The Beetle Sport is available with a 1.4 TSI (118 kW/160 PS), 2.0 TSI (147 kW/200 PS) or 2.0 TDI (103 kW/140 PS). The additional price for the R-Line exterior package is available at € 1,290, and when the interior package is included the price starts at € 1,675.