Skip to main content

Honda butching up Crosstour for 2013 because 'people weren't exactly sure what it was'

Posted Sep 20th 2012 2:30PM

CommentsAdd
2013 Honda Crosstour

When the Honda Accord Crosstour launched back in 2009 as a 2010 model, we didn't quite know what to make of it. We weren't exactly taken with its styling and we didn't get its value equation, either. It drove well enough, but fell behind the segment's fierce competition in terms of space, amenities, visibility and pricing. The market seemed to agree, and the model never got near Honda's (traditionally conservative) sales projections of 40,000 units per year.

Since that time, Honda has tried to build momentum with the model by deleting its Accord appellation (it's now just "Crosstour") and adding a four-cylinder model, but sales haven't budged. Through August, Ward's Auto reports that Honda has managed to shift just 12,857 units, and its best-ever year, 2010, it only managed 28,851 units.

For 2013, the Crosstour is getting its biggest push since launch with its first major rework, and the logic behind the facelift is interesting. According to Ward's Auto, Honda believes that a major reason why the Crosstour has failed to find buyers is because people didn't know what to call it (or presumably, what to cross-shop it against). Honda marketed the model as a crossover, but as Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president-product planning opines, "people weren't exactly sure what it was (because) it was a tweener." So Honda responded by showing the thinly disguised 'concept' seen above at the New York Auto Show in April, and the showcar is expected to match the as-yet-unseen 2013 production model almost exactly. If that's the case, Honda will clearly butch up the five-door's lines for the new model year, with a squared-off jaw, bolder grille, contrasting lower cladding, and so on.

What's more, Honda is also addressing our criticism about a lack of amenities by giving the cabin a new eight-inch information display, revamped trim, keyless start and paddle shifters on the V6. In addition, the V6 model will receive a new six-speed auto in place of the 2012 model's five-speed unit. To combat the Crosstour's inherently poor visibility, Honda is fitting all models with a standard backup camera and its trick LaneWatch blind-spot system will be offered as an option.

Will these changes (see photo gallery) be enough to jumpstart the Crosstour's fortunes in the marketplace? Click here for a video on the 2013 Honda Crosstour and let us know your thoughts in Comments.

News Source: Ward's Auto

2013 Honda Crosstour Concept Revealed

Get updates from Autoblog Canada posted directly to your News Feed.

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

6 Comments

Filter by:
Juan Bigtoe

I have a 2010 Crosstour and I love it! I traded in my CRV for it and have not missed any space with two kids (never loaded the hatch above the rear window anyway). The car drives smoothly and comfortably and is gets great mileage on the highway for a car its size. I think the armchair commentators dont know what they are talking about when they say it is ugly....it looks great. I like the upgrades to the concept and would buy it if I were not planning on keeping my car for at least ten years. Despite the cars good points, I do not think Honda will ever sell a lot of them because americans are biased against hatchbacks.

September 22 2012 at 9:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigfriggindeal

The Crosstour is 10K too expensive, visibility sucks, and it looks like a station wagon... this 'new' facelift makes it look more like an 80's station wagon. Station wagon looks without station wagon utility. My dad owned an ugly station wagon and I was embarrassed to be seen in it. I like my kids.

September 21 2012 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigfriggindeal

September 21 2012 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bigfriggindeal

September 21 2012 at 2:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
richardcreme

Why don't they make it into a station wagon if they wanted to improve visibility? There would be more storage space and easier to put in larger objects. They made the same mistake as BMW with their weird-looking 5 GT. They wanted to avoid making a wagon and ended up making something too weird to even look at. I'd much prefer a wagon than seeing these "design crimes against humanity". As a matter of fact, I wish I could buy an AWD wagon but there are none available from GM, Ford or Chrysler. There's an open market there to be had.

September 20 2012 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
myopinion72

Clearly the good people at Honda have no car guys in their cubicle row and can't take a hint from the market place. It is not selling because it has all the shortcomings (heavy, expensive) of an SUV with none of the qualities (space, towing)...and....and.....oh my god is it ever UGLY!! Come on! Wake up Honda.
And saying people didn't know what to cross shop it with is such an arrogant answer...whatever...like we're all idiots...typical BS from a marketing scholar trying to prove buyers wrong....

September 20 2012 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply