Skip to main content

ScrapDriveClean.ca petitions Ontario government to remove failed e-test program

Posted Mar 12th 2013 1:45PM

CommentsAdd

For those uninformed, starting January 1st, 2013, any emission test (commonly referred to as an e-test) completed in Ontario switched from a more practical exhaust gas testing method to a more philosophical on-board diagnostic testing method. The results thus far have not been good for car owners in Ontario, and it turns out that the provincial government is about to get an earful from angry drivers petitioning against the new program run my the Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO) after failed e-tests.

If your car was built between the years of 1988 and 1997 you need not worry - the old tail pipe testing will still apply. Newer cars will now pass or fail based on testing their on-board computer, but complications from any number of unrelated computer fail codes can often occur and may cause a false emission test fail.

Some mechanics are reporting that as many as half of the vehicles they're testing are failing due to on-board computer problems - not emissions problems.

Click here to learn how Ontario drivers are fighting back to scrap the Drive Clean.

Kitchener-Conestoga MPP Michael Harris is on the case and had this to say on the issue: "The government ignored the advice of the Auditor General and rushed ahead with their new emissions test – neglecting to do any due diligence whatsoever." He continued, "Now, every day countless vehicles fail this new test – not because of emissions-related problems – but because of a computer error. Rather than address these technical issues, the Liberals have told Ontarians to spend their valuable time and money driving on highways and around town in the hopes their vehicle's on-board computer will correct itself for the next test."

It's reported that until the Liberals introduced their new Drive Clean test method 95 per cent of vehicles were passing the exhaust gas test.

Finally, Harris dropped his political gloves, "It's more clear than ever that, under the Liberals, Drive Clean has become nothing more than a government cash grab. The government should stop making Ontarians jump through new hoops to get their cars e-tested and begin phasing out this program, which costs [taxpayers] $30 million a year."

And how are we to voice our opinion to the provincial government? Harris encouraged Ontarians to voice their opposition to the program by signing the online petition found at ScrapDriveClean.ca. Click through to sign the petition.

Related Gallery2013 Toronto Auto Show - Top 10 Fuel Friendly Debut

How to Pass an Auto Emissions Test

Get updates from Autoblog Canada posted directly to your News Feed.

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

13 Comments

Filter by:
ImaJWalker

I live in a border city and WE must get an etest done but USA cars come across the border and don't need / or get one done. How absurd is this? NO.. No etests. We are ignorant to follow this government and it's lies. Think I'll go look at chemtrails that the government says are good for climate change as they drop chemicals on us.

August 01 2014 at 7:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bold_Sue

My 2006 Ontario plated Honda Odyssey is used entirely in Mexico. Do I have to drive it back to Ontario for this e-Test then back to Mexico? No exception to this rule for my very expensive e-Test situation? What do other Ontario snowbirds do? I signed the ScrapDriveClean petition.

January 29 2014 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Spelic

When the hell did Canada become communist? This is absurd! GOV is telling me that perhaps, just perhaps, my gas cap isn't screwed on properly and my check engine light sensor comes on that I could fail an-test?? Or I have condensation in my tail-lights and my light comes on? I just love on their site, "check engine light means their is an emission problem" BS! Not only is that not 100% true, but "check engine" also does not mean their is trouble with your engine either! Iam pissed! Keep their sticker and save my money, drive without it! If we all did, what are they going todo arrest us all? Fine well tie up their courts and cost them money that way. Or maybe we dont work cause we cant drive to work and then they wont collect tax money off our checks...Half the world stands up and fights against their GOV, our natives stand up and fight here, why don't we?? WE the people have the true power. If we have the guts to fight, WE as one can shut them down. What would happen if all of Ontarians went on strike? No work, no shopping...then we don't line their crooked coffers. Stock up, save and then strike! I know all of this is drastic, but I don know about you folks, but Iam tired of bending over and getting it from behind inch by inch and they don't even have the common courtesty to provide vasoline! Although, I'd be paying tax on that too! The True North Strong and Free O' Canada my ass! The anthem now is a lie...I say we fight and take back our country and restore it to the great nation it was built and founded on!

August 29 2013 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bonnie.lambert

Does anyone know if the big car companies are recalling all these "faulty' computers? From what I am reading and the results of a test, Its a computer error. not an emissions related issue. I tried to sign the petition, however I must be too late.

May 22 2013 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slick.ster1

Sense when did emission coming from the tailpipe of a car only be confind to asigned area's THE WIND DOSE BLOW DOSE IT NOT. WOW need a job it these area's

May 12 2013 at 1:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rod Mehlenbacher

i would love to see it go but it wont because the government does not care about people they only care about the money they can steel it was a tax grab from the beginning but they did not get the enuf money from the first type of e test so they com up with the new way cuz they need money to pay for there hi end cars they own and the expecive trip they take and there stake dinners with all there friends tax payers pay for them to live the high life and most people cant a ford to live cuz they take r jobs take r money take r cars take every thing just cuz they can u cant stop them cuz there is not one mp in this country who wants to end there rain of tarer cuz they r being paid off there is not one person at queens park who is in it for the people there r there for the money

April 30 2013 at 11:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manny.marques

again and again...another money grab. Like Ive said over and over before. The government is a bunch of thieves.

April 28 2013 at 9:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
manny.marques

government with another money grab...like ive always said before, they are a bunch of thieves.

April 28 2013 at 9:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brian

My 2005 corvette just failed the e test. Cost me $39.55 to be told that the computer was not ready on various fronts!!! Car was stored for the winter - now I have to go and drive it around in traffic and on the highway so that computer can tell a story. Don't you just love those individuals who come up with these ideas to create an additional tax and work for the garage - although not in every location. Area to the north of London does not have to have test - they must have to much Clean Air!!!!

April 24 2013 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Johann

Mercedes-Benz C220 1995, any complains or advise. I have an offer to buy this vehicle, however, I never had a Mercedes-Benz, and do not have any experience with a M-B ? reliability, maintenace costs, repairs etc. any comment would be greatly appreciated Johann.

April 13 2013 at 12:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply