Skip to main content

BC Police chopper catches cars street racing on Sea-to-Sky highway

Posted May 9th 2013 7:00PM

CommentsAdd

You'd think that by now British Columbia auto enthusiasts would have learned from the many stories of car seizures we've reported on over the past few years, but another group of 20-25 year old boys have become the latest victim of BC's 40km/h and over impound law. The group was called in to Squamish RCMP, and Air One, one of the Lower Mainland Traffic Safety Helicopters was called in to tail them until West Vancouver PD could intercept. Under normal circumstances we suppose the term "young men" might have been appropriate, but after hearing the excuse used by one of the drivers it is clear that adulthood for these individuals is still a ways away.

Of all the stupid excuses we have heard for speeding over the years, from "My wife is in labour" to "My speedometer doesn't work", we were a bit surprised to hear this new one. The driver in question claims that he was speeding because his temporary insurance was set to run out at midnight, and that "with great friends I had with me, they decided to try and get home with me and not leave me to fend for myself." There are so many things to pick apart from his defence that we don't know where to start other than if he were to have an accident while speeding home, does he really think his insurance would cover his reckless driving?

The group is reported to have been driving a cluster of Nissan 240SX, as well as a Nissan Skyline, Toyota MR2, and an Acura Integra which were all reported to be "in various stages of modification". Revscene forum members are quick to tout some high performance mods, but based on the verbiage used by the West Van Police, we wouldn't be surprised if we're talking lowering springs and mufflers at this point. It is also noted that one vehicle was sporting a "I Heart Drifting" bumper sticker at the time of the incident.

Click past the jump to see the aerial surveillance video caught by the West Vancouver PD, and a quick video on how to talk your way out of a speeding ticket.

Related GalleryTop 10 Supercar Reviews
2012 Bentley Continental Supersports Convertible2013 SRT Viper2012 Chevrolet Corvette ZR12013 McLaren MP4-12C Spider2014 Aston Martin Vanquish2012 Lexus LFA2013 Pagani Huayra2013 Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
Related GalleryRussian Street Racing

How to Talk Your Way Out of a Speeding Ticket

Get updates from Autoblog Canada posted directly to your News Feed.

*0 / 3000 Character Maximum

8 Comments

Filter by:
johnh362

so Cheif, all i have to say is that have darn right ****** the dog on this one. you honestly can not do any reaserch on what you write about. I think you may have chose the wrong profession. i think helping kids in kindergaden finger paint would suit you better. obviously these guys were no skid racing, but traveling in a wolf pack trying to get the younglin home

May 13 2013 at 3:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
johnh362

so

May 13 2013 at 3:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robert

Apparently you consider yourself an automotive enthusiast/blog writer. Given this fact, shouldnt you gather more facts before posting some nonsense? Ive seen inspector gadget do a way better job than you just did. Good work carmen san diego... Cheers.

May 13 2013 at 3:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
zerooffset12345

loving all of the misinformation here.

if you're going to quote me from revscene, at least have the decency to get SOME of the facts straight. still trying to find the part where i said i was using it as 'an excuse' in my post. maybe you can point it out since 'autoblog' is apparently paying for you to be able to read and write cognitively.

"as is with everything in life, there are two sides to every story.

im not going to/trying to justify my actions or argue weather or not going 140 in an 80 is safe/legal/a smart thing to do, but i would like to say my side of the story. myself as well as others have frequented the spring/summer meets and i myself would like to be welcome at future events.

i put a day permit on my car to do some exhaust work at my shop, and i figured i would get some use of the permit by inviting 2-3 friends on a dinner run up to squamish, which soon turned into 8 cars.
i realized i was cutting it close to the 12pm cutoff for my insurance on the way back, but with great friends i had with me, they decided to try and get home with me and not leave me to fend for myself.

this is my first speeding ticket, along with most of my friends who were caught. we dont do this type of 'freddy vts' **** and for the most part aren't 'hard as ****.' i think its being blown out of proportion for the most part but hey, taxpayers clearly enjoy seeing results of their money at work."

i will give you a 5/5 for effort on making up a good story though. even had me entertained there for a minute!!

May 13 2013 at 2:43 AM Report abuse +1 rate up rate down Reply
Laughable

Such journalistic integrity!

Calling the crime street racing when any REAL journalist has already (accurately) pointed out that the offence was "excessive speeding".

Also pointing out the "I heart drifting" sticker as if it somehow has ANY relevance to anything makes me really question who is the "boy" here.

May 13 2013 at 2:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ckernzie

This is not 'Street Racing' , why trot out generic term meant for general 'duh' public consumption Autoblog? They are not racing and it is not on the street. It IS a high speed highway run by a group of forum members which is Illigal, dangerous and worthy of public shame and jail for the cars.

May 12 2013 at 7:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Natalya FS

speeding isnt a crime

May 10 2013 at 10:58 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Natalya FS's comment
Borderman07@redskinsfancentral.com

Until the day when there are no speed limit signs on roads, yes it is..if you really want to speed, go to a track day at a local race track. I like fast cars as well, but I won't hurt someone else by driving like a jerk on a public road.

May 12 2013 at 4:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply